Freelancing is the latest buzzword for many across the globe. Professionals are opting for freelance work opportunities to establish a substantial source of income apart from their fixed job salary. Freelancing can be a great and an easy way of earning money while sitting at home. But there are some guidelines which a freelancer should always keep in mind before stating a freelance project:
1. Clarity of work- It is recommended to all the budding freelancers to understand your skills before jumpstarting to freelance. Research and explore more opportunities for people in similar domain and see what is best for you. It is advisable to not leave the job immediately, first analyze the pros and cons and then get started with freelance work. It is always good to start with a smaller project to minimize the chances of risk involved.
2. Investment – To become a successful freelancer it is important to invest wisely in executing a new freelance project. A professional should always keep a check on resources, applications and technology he would be using for the project. Hence, it is important to plan things and spend money according to achieve long term goals.
3. Planning – Another important consideration for freelancers is to plan up in advance. This always helps in scheduling daily work and following that until the work gets completed. Always chalk out all your important chores to meet quality standard and timelines. Don’t forget that in the end you will be answerable to your customers yourself and of course to the bank account as well.
4. Keep learning- A freelancer can easily opt for freelance job from across a varied range of categories relevant to his expertise. But to open more avenues to freelance work opportunities he can always learn new things and brush up his skills to establish his credibility as a freelancer. Gaining knowledge is an ongoing process, so one should always work on polishing skills, and be enthusiastic on learning of new tricks and methods.
5. Increase network- The best way to find freelance projects is by growing network. Reaching out to old and trusted connections can help in getting more business. A freelancer can approach his friends, colleagues or some old business associations. Today many social networking websites and online services marketplaces are widening their spectrum to help a freelancer in expanding network across the globe. It’s important to build strong and long term relationship within the network to enhance business prospects. A freelancer can do this by connecting via emails, posting a profile and placing bids on online services websites, writing blogs or posting comments on related forums and distributing business cards to different companies etc.
I hope that these points will work as a deciding factor to whether or not to jump to freelancing job. Please provide your feedback and suggestions on the same.